|District #1 Vice Presidents
|Gloria Cannon, GRI, e-PRO
4449 Hansen Dr.
Hilliard, OH 43026-2462
614.419.2623 FAX 614.643.2829
|Tiffany S. Meyer
J C Meyer Co. Inc.
1171 E. Main St.
Ashland, OH 44805
419.651.7535 FAX 419.281.9846
Ohio’s REALTORS gathered in Columbus last week to advance the interests of the profession and property owners across the state, tackle important governance issues to ensure the organization’s relevancy in the near- and long-term, and strengthen the bond with our elected officials.
The Ohio Association of REALTORS Annual Spring Legislative Conference, held April 28-30, featured a “who’s who” roster of legislative leaders, experts on the issues confronting Ohio communities and opportunities to move the organization forward.
Most notably, OAR’s Board of Directors put the final touches on a forward-looking approach to better serve the diverse needs of the organization’s 27,000-plus members. The Association has redrawn its district map, consolidating to five (from nine) districts that are more geographically aligned. Further, the new districts will be represented by two vice presidents–giving the REALTORS across Ohio a stronger voice and better access to your leadership.
OAR also completed an overview of its nominating process, implementing refinements to existing policies and procedures. As a result, OAR will be able to attract the best and brightest from among the ranks of its membership for future leadership positions.
Directors approved a ground-breaking plan to improve the delivery of the professional development opportunities OAR offers. The organization will strive to provide webinar/podcast offerings on timely topics, increase technology-based offerings, collaborate with Local Boards/Associations to discover new programming approaches, pursue sponsorship opportunities and develop a business/marketing plan.
From a political perspective, attendees were able to discuss the pressing issues confronting the Buckeye State with key policy makers and leading experts, including:
- Ohio Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor (R-Uniontown) spoke to the OAR Board of Directors about the Kasich Administration’s accomplishments in terms of job creation and balancing the state budget.
- Ohio Auditor David Yost (R-Franklin County) served as the keynote speaker, providing insights on his office’s effort to create a skinnier, smarter government.
- Leadership from the Ohio Senate and Ohio House of Representatives offered an overview of the issues being debated by the 130th General Assembly. Speaker of the House William Batchelder (R-Medina) and Senate President Pro Tempore Chris Widener (R-Springfield) discussed the Ohio budget, jobs and more.
- Timothy Keen, Director of the Office of Budget & Management, and Joseph Testa, Director of the Ohio Department of Taxation, provided a comprehensive overview of the state budget and pending tax issues.
- Kim Wells, chief legal counsel for the Ohio Division of Real Estate & Professional Licensing provided an update on the status of new salesperson licensees and brokers within the state, as well as other details from the industry’s regulatory body.
- The leadership of Ohio’s Democratic and Republican parties conducted a lively session on the elections, taxes and health care. Republican Party Chair Matthew Borges and Rep. Chris Redfern, Ohio Democratic Party Chair, shared their thoughts and insights on the Buckeye State’s political scene.
- Brian Blaesser, partner with Robinson & Cole, offered a comprehensive look at the pending land use and eminent domain issues from across the country. Blaesser, one of the nation’s leading experts and a consultant for the National Association of REALTORS, reviewed proposals surfacing at the local and state levels.
- Tom Stewart, executive vice president of the Ohio Oil & Gas Association, provided a comprehensive look at the state’s rich history with oil and gas exploration. He also provided details on Ohio’s current shale boom.
As you can see, it was a highly productive Spring Legislative Conference. We appreciate the opportunity you have given us to represent your interests at OAR.
Finally…mark your calendars for Sept. 8-10 and make plans to ROCK Cleveland at OAR’s 104th Annual Convention & Expo. For details on speakers and special events, visit www.oarconvention.com!