Dave Bissler, OAR District #1 Vice President
The resiliency and fortitude of Ohio’s real estate profession was on full display recently, as REALTORS from all corners of our great state converged upon the Capitol City of Columbus to debate timely issues, develop and strengthen friendships and work toward creating a better tomorrow for the profession and Ohio’s property owners.
The 103rd edition Ohio Association of REALTORS Annual Convention & Expo accomplished that…and so much more!
Our three-day gathering, Sept. 8-10, afforded us the opportunity to share laughs, pursue initiatives to improve the industry, hear from some of the country’s top educators and renew and develop friendships with peers.
Columbus proved to be the perfect venue, with perfect weather and unbelievable hospitality.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t extend a heartfelt thanks to our Convention Committee Chair Meg Hudson and her outstanding Committee members for their tireless effort in orchestrating a memorable event!
Among the highlights:
- The industry honored James H. Coridan, of Columbus REALTORS, with the 2013 OAR REALTOR of the Year award, recognizing his outstanding contributions at the local, state and national levels…a shining example of what makes our profession great!
- OAR Past President Barbara Lach, of Columbus, was presented with the 2013 Vincent T. Aveni Lifetime Achievement Award for her significant contribution to the real estate profession in Ohio.
- The organization’s 2013 Phillip R. Barnes RPAC Achievement Award was given in memory of Past President Phil Morrical, Jr. for his unparalleled support and commitment to the organization’s Political Action Committee.
- OAR presented its prestigious Excellence in Community Service Award to Mark Meinhardt, of the Cincinnati Area Board of REALTORS, for establishing Sophie’s Angel Run, a 5K run/walk created in memory of his 18-month-old daughter Sophie Grace who lost her life suddenly to a pediatric brain tumor during surgery to remove it. The event has raised more than $320,000 for pediatric brain tumor research and another $16,000 in educational scholarships.
- Congratulations to all of the OAR President’s Sales Club recipients who were in attendance and recognized for their outstanding efforts during a banquet held in their honor. A special tip of the hat to the following teams and individuals who were recognized in our various categories as the top recipient:
- The top team in transaction credits earned
Kamann Professional Group from HER REALTORS, Delaware
- The top individual in transaction credits earned
Kimberlee McClellan, of Majestic Realty, Pickerington
- The top team in dollar volume for 2013
The Michael Kaim Team, with Prudential Select Properties, Mentor
- And the top individual in dollar volume
Michael Hinckley, of Coldwell Banker West Shell, Cincinnati
- Directors overwhelmingly approved a balanced 2014 Operating Budget that controls spending while continuing to offer the array of valuable services and programs that you’ve come to expect from the state association.
- Attendees were able to obtain more than 10 hours of free continuing education credit that was made available on an array of topics. Top-notch, nationally recognized instructors, such as Sean Carpenter, Julie Beall, Adorna Carroll, Melanie McLane, Lynn Madison, Verl Workman, Cynthia Lammert and NAR Legal Counsel Laurie Janik shared insights on the timely issues confronting the real estate marketplace.
- It was announced that Ted Oatts of Columbus will be honored as the 2013 recipient of the OAR Distinguished Service Award at the upcoming OAR Winter Conference in January 2014.
- The Tomorrow’s Leaders Today program, which was established a decade ago, attracted 28 new Convention attendees. These members, who were nominated by their Local Board/Association, received a complimentary Convention registration and participated in a number of special events conducted specially for them. This is a great way of attracting future leaders to the state Association.
- Congratulations to Barbara Murray, of the Mansfield Association of REALTORS, for receiving the 2013 Association Executives Scholarship Award.
- Directors unanimously approved resolutions honoring the memories of OAR Past Presidents Mary Harpley, Philip O. Morrical, Jr. and E.J. “Jim” Owen.
- The Board of Directors elected a number of REALTORS to key leadership posts:
- Congratulations to Sara Calo, of the Lake & Geauga Area Association, on her election to the OAR Treasurer position. Her term will commence in January 2014.
- Meg Hudson, of the Portage County Association, was elected to the 2016 NAR Region #6 Vice President position, representing REALTORS in Ohio and Michigan.
- Meg Hudson, of the Portage County Association, and Bob Miller, Columbus, were elected as NAR Directors to three-year terms beginning January 2014.
- Five members were elected as 2014-2015 OAR District Vice Presidents: District 1 – Andrea Lupton (Warren Area); District 3 – Tiffany Meyer (Ashland County); District 5 – Anjanette Frye (Dayton); District 7 – Rick DeLuca (Steubenville); and District 9 – Paul Renwick (Middletown).
- It was announced that OAR’s long-standing support of the REALTORS Political Action Committee remains strong. The current campaign surpassed its goal for the year, with investments of more than $560,000. In addition 41 Local Boards/Associations were honored for already meeting their goal in support of RPAC.
- President Tom Williams announced the creation of two task forces – one to review the organization’s current district structure due to the recent mergers that have occurred, while the other will conduct a comprehensive review of OAR’s educational programming.
As you can tell, activity at the Annual Convention was abundant – from start to finish. The tremendous turnout – in a difficult economic environment – is a testament to the vibrancy and importance of the REALTOR organization throughout Ohio.
OAR will continue working toward its goal of ensuring that members are given the necessary tools to succeed in the every-changing marketplace.
Thanks for your continued support!