|District #1 Vice Presidents
|Gloria Cannon, GRI, e-PRO
4449 Hansen Dr.
Hilliard, OH 43026-2462
614.419.2623 FAX 614.643.2829
|Tiffany S. Meyer
J C Meyer Co. Inc.
1171 E. Main St.
Ashland, OH 44805
419.651.7535 FAX 419.281.9846
The boundless energy, positive outlook and “can-do” spirit of Ohio’s real estate profession were on full display as more than 1,000 REALTORS converged upon Cleveland to debate timely issues, develop and network with industry peers and work toward creating a better tomorrow for the profession and property owners across the state.
The 104th edition of the Ohio Association of REALTORS Annual Convention & Expo accomplished that…and so much more!
Our three-day gathering, Sept. 8-10, afforded us the opportunity to share laughs, pursue initiatives to improve the industry, hear from some of the country’s top educators and renew and develop friendships with peers.
Cleveland proved to be the ideal venue, with perfect weather and unbelievable hospitality.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t extend a heartfelt thanks to our Convention Committee Chair Karen O’Donnell, Vice Chair Gretchen McKay and their outstanding Committee members for their tireless effort in orchestrating a memorable event!
Among the highlights:
- The industry honored Cliff Bellar, of the Medina County Board of REALTORS, with the 2014 OAR REALTOR of the Year award, recognizing his outstanding contributions at the local, state and national levels…a shining example of what makes our profession great!
- OAR Past President Terry Hankner, of Cincinnati, was presented with the 2014 Vincent T. Aveni Lifetime Achievement Award for her significant contributions to the real estate profession in Ohio.
- The organization’s 2014 Phillip R. Barnes RPAC Achievement Award was given to OAR Past President John Lynch, of Cleveland, for his unparalleled support and commitment to the organization’s Political Action Committee.
- OAR presented its prestigious Excellence in Community Service Award to Sheila Crane, of the Dayton Area Board of REALTORS, for her efforts raising awareness of the growing problem of human trafficking in Ohio and providing a path forward for survivors.
- Congratulations to all of the OAR President’s Sales Club recipients who were in attendance and recognized for their outstanding efforts during a banquet held in their honor. A special tip of the hat to the following teams and individuals who were recognized in our various categories as the top recipient:
- The top team in transaction credits earned – The Kal & Gerry REO Team, Coldwell Banker Heritage, Dayton.
- The top individual in transaction credits earned – Tracey Bitonti, Irongate Inc., Centerville.
- The top team in dollar volume – The Crockett Team, Howard Hanna, Cleveland.
- And the top individual in dollar volume – Michael Hinckley, of Coldwell Banker West Shell, Cincinnati.
- Directors overwhelmingly approved a balanced 2015 Operating Budget that controls spending while continuing to offer the array of valuable services and programs that you’ve come to expect from the state organization.
- Attendees were able to obtain more than 10 hours of free continuing education credit that was made available on an array of topics. Top-notch, nationally recognized instructors, such as Nobu Hata, Jackie Leavenworth, Craig Grant, Joe Daly, Juanita McDowell, Amy Smythe Harris, Stacey Harmon, Mark Johnston, Ernie Bottom, Joe Deegan, Cynthia Lammert and Mark Rodio shared insights on the timely issues confronting the real estate marketplace.
- It was announced that Joyce Goldsmith of Cleveland will be honored as the 2014 recipient of the OAR Distinguished Service Award at the upcoming OAR Winter Conference in January 2015.
- The Tomorrow’s Leaders Today program, which was established a decade ago, attracted 29 new Convention attendees. These members, who were nominated by their Local Board/Association, received a complimentary Convention registration and participated in a number of special events conducted specially for them. This is a great way of attracting future leaders to the state Association.
- Congratulations to Sherry Stell, of the Medina County Board of REALTORS, for receiving the 2014 Association Executives Scholarship Award.
- Directors unanimously approved a resolution honoring the memory of Hal Maxfield, Mansfield, who recently passed away.
- Directors also unanimously approved a resolution honoring Steve Brown, Dayton, for his service as president of the National Association of REALTORS in 2014, Ohio Association of REALTORS in 2002 and Dayton Area Board of REALTORS in 1995.
- The Board of Directors elected a number of REALTORS to key leadership posts:
- Congratulations to Pete Kopf, of the Cincinnati Area Board of REALTORS, on his election to the OAR Treasurer position. His term will commence in January 2015.
- Brad Knapp, of the Warren County Board of REALTORS, was elected NAR Director to a three-year term beginning January 2015.
- Four members were elected as 2015-2016 OAR District Vice Presidents: District 1 – Chris Pedon (Columbus); District 2 – Joann Amos (Wood County); District 3 – Brandon Marquard (Medina County); District 4 – Sandra Green (Scioto Valley).
- It was announced that OAR’s long-standing support of the REALTORS Political Action Committee remains strong. The current campaign surpassed its goal for the year, with investments of more than $588,000. In addition 37 Local Boards/Associations were honored for already meeting their goal in support of RPAC. The campaign continues through Oct. 1.
- Directors approved a number of legislative matters, notably supporting a proposed Ohio Division of Real Estate amendment to the license law regarding contemporaneous offers and supporting House Bill 586 (with an amendment) to modernize Ohio’s sheriff sale process to allow sales to be conducted online, at the discretion of the judgment creditor.
As you can tell, activity at the Annual Convention was abundant – from start to finish. The tremendous turnout–in an active marketplace–is a testament to the vibrancy and importance of the REALTOR organization throughout Ohio.
OAR will continue working toward its goal of ensuring that members are given the necessary tools to succeed in the every-changing marketplace.
Thanks for your continued support!