|District #1 Vice Presidents
373 S. Drexel Ave.
Bexley, OH 43209
614/477-6726 Fax 614/635-3461
Cook Real Estate
123 W. 5th St.
Marysville, OH 43040
937.644.9015 Fax: 937.642.4961
More than 1,200 members of Ohio’s REALTOR family gathered in Cleveland to debate timely issues, hear from top instructors, network with industry peers and work toward creating a better tomorrow for the profession and property owners across the state.
The 106th edition of the Ohio Association of REALTORS Annual Convention & Expo helped the industry “Engage…Ignite…& Amplify”… and so much more!
Our three-day gathering, Sept. 19-21, afforded us the opportunity to share laughs, pursue initiatives to improve the industry, hear from some of the country’s top educators and renew and develop friendships with peers.
Downtown Cleveland proved to be the ideal locale, with perfect weather and unbelievable hospitality.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t extend a heartfelt thanks to our Convention Committee Chair John Mangas, Vice Chair Steve Casper and their outstanding Committee members for their tireless effort in orchestrating a memorable event!
Among the highlights:
- The industry honored Gloria Alonso Cannon, of Columbus REALTORS, with the 2016 OAR REALTOR of the Year award, recognizing her outstanding contributions at the local, state and national levels…a shining example of what makes our profession great!
- OAR Past President Steve Casper, of Cincinnati, was presented with the 2016 Vincent T. Aveni Lifetime Achievement Award for his significant contributions to the real estate profession in Ohio.
- The organization’s 2016 Phillip R. Barnes RPAC Achievement Award was given to Bradley Bennett, of Columbus, for his unparalleled support and commitment to the organization’s Political Action Committee.
- OAR presented its prestigious Excellence in Community Service Award to Sam Livingston, of the Medina County Board of REALTORS, for his remarkable work in improving his community.
- Sue Lusk-Gleich, of Columbus, and Georgiana Nye, of Dayton, were honored as recipients of the OAR Distinguished Service Award.
- Congratulations to all of the OAR President’s Sales Club recipients who were in attendance and recognized for their outstanding efforts during a banquet held in their honor. A special tip of the hat to the following teams and individuals who were recognized in our various categories as the top recipient:
- Directors unanimously approved the 2017 Operating Budget that keeps a close watch on spending while continuing to offer the array of valuable services and programs that you’ve come to expect from the state organization.
- Additionally, Directors unanimously approved establishing a Political Advocacy Fund, designed to strengthen the organization’s voice at the local and state level. As a result of the Director action, members will be assessed $25 annually for a five-year period so that OAR will be able to make a meaningful difference on issues of concern to the industry at City Hall and the Ohio State House.
- Attendees were able to obtain upwards of 12 hours of free continuing education credit that was made available on an array of topics. Top-notch, nationally recognized instructors, such as – Leigh Brown, Sean Carpenter, Tom Ferry, John Zimmerman, Maura Neill, (Legal Issues Forum speakers: Jon Deegan, Cindy Lammert and Mark Rodio)–shared insights on the timely issues confronting the real estate marketplace.
- The Tomorrow’s Leaders Today program, which was established more than a decade ago, attracted 30 new Convention attendees. These members, who were nominated by their Local Board/Association, received a complimentary Convention registration and participated in a number of events conducted especially for them. This is a great way of attracting future leaders to the state Association.
- Congratulations to Jennifer Zeller, of the Midwestern Ohio Association of REALTORS, for receiving the 2016 Association Executives Scholarship Award.
- Directors unanimously approved a resolution honoring two Past Presidents that recently passed away–Owen Hall, 1970 President, of St. Marys, and Richard Royer, 1982 President, from Columbus–for their lasting contributions to improving Ohio’s real estate industry.
- Directors unanimously adopted a resolution honoring OAR Past President Barbara Lach, Columbus, for being a recipient of the NAR Distinguished Service Award. She is one of only six Ohio REALTORS to have received the prestigious Award.
- The Board of Directors elected a number of REALTORS to key leadership posts:
- It was announced that OAR’s long-standing support of the REALTORS Political Action Committee remains strong. The current campaign has attained investments of more than $670,000. In addition, 38 Local Boards/Associations were honored for their outstanding support of RPAC so far in 2016. The campaign continues through Dec. 1.
- Directors unanimously approved a preliminary report of the OAR Committee & Governance Structure Review Task Force, which will eliminate the OAR Winter Conference beginning in 2018.
- The Akron Cleveland Board’s Young Professionals Network was named the recipient of OAR’s inaugural YPN Network of the Year Award.
- Finally, the Association thanked the chairmen of its Committees and Forums for their outstanding work throughout the year, including:
As you can tell, activity at the Annual Convention was abundant–from start to finish. The tremendous turnout–in an active marketplace–is a testament to the vibrancy and importance of the REALTOR organization throughout Ohio.
OAR will continue working toward its goal of ensuring that members are given the necessary tools to succeed in the ever-changing marketplace.
Thanks for your continued support!