by Name of President
Local Board of REALTORS
If cooler temperatures have you turning up the thermostat, try these tips to keep your furnace running efficiently and your winter heating bills as low as possible:
1. Home heating accounts for more than half of a typical customer’s monthly gas bill. Lowering the thermostat three degrees to five degrees (and in temperate climates turning it off when not at home) may help save up to 30% on heating costs.
2. Check furnace filters every month during the heating season and clean or replace the filter when necessary. When installing a new or cleaned filter, be sure to re-install the front panel door of the furnace properly so it fits snugly.
3. Never operate the furnace without the front-panel door properly in place. Doing so may create the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
4. Don’t block heating outlets or return registers with furniture or other objects.
5. Repair cracks or broken seams in forced-air heating ducts.
6. Install or upgrade your attic insulation
7. Caulk and weather-strip drafty windows and doors.
8. Open your drapes or blinds during the day and let the sun help warm the home. Close your drapes or blinds at night to keep the warmth inside.
9. Consider adding another blanket or two at night to stay warm.
10. Choose a higher efficiency model when shopping for a new gas furnace.
I hope these tips help reduce your heating costs. And remember, when it’s time to buy or sell your home, contact a REALTOR, a member of the ____________ Board of REALTORS.